Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Six Years Later...

. . . and I'm back with an old post edited for today:

SNOW !!!

“How full of genius is the air in which these are generated! I should hardly admire them more if real stars fell and lodged on my coat.” ---H.D. Thoreau

As awe struck by snow as Thoreau, so I find myself amazed at the tiny gems. I truly love the snow and am mesmerized by it whenever I allow myself the opportunity. Even after these many, many, many months of dark and cold I welcome the snow. Throughout today we have been blessed with stellar dendrites, a rarity here in Wasilla. Usually, in the winter, the arctic air from the north is too dry for them to form. It’s only in the late winter or early spring that our air is tempered by the moisture from the gulf. That is when the snow crystals grow to six-sided star-like flakes…the traditional kindergarten fold-and-cut snowflake, each one different from all the others. While driving during these stellar dendrite events I’m at risk, as is everyone else who ventures outdoors and into my path. It is impossible for me to focus on the road and traffic ahead while I’m watching these flakes skitter off my windshield. I should call in to work, not sick, but stunningly awed by nature! Hmmmmm….that would be my own personal “Snow Day!” For now, I must temper my enthusiasm and quiet my mantra of “more snow, MORE SNOW, MORE SNOW !!! I am aggravating most everyone around me, especially gardeners and those with long driveways to shovel, by my wish for year-round winter!



No comments:

Post a Comment